Saturday, September 27, 2014

Can Water Really Help You Lose Weight?


Ok so I have been mulling this over for the last couple of days.  You read all about keeping yourself hydrated during weight loss.  According to International Journal of Obesity substituting just one cup of sugary soda for one cup of water would slow weight gain by a full pound every 4 years. That's good news but I don't drink sugary soda.  Time for more research;

Back to WebMd.  According to the web set that when I stay hydrated the chemical reaction in my body run smoothly and even a drop of 1% can cause a drop in my metabolism.

There has been a study that drinking a class of water before a meal can cause a decrease of 75 calories per meal.  I guess it from the liquid displacing space in my stomach and giving me a full feel.  That's close to 270,000 calories or 8 lbs per year.  There was a study group at Virginia Tech that had half the people drink two glasses of water before each dinner and the other half did not.  The first half lost 3 lbs more in twelve weeks the second half.

Now how much water to drink.  I have read cut your weight in 2 and that is how many ounces of water you need.  Let's see 385/2 is 192 oz or 1.5 gallons of water.  That's a lot of water, but does it all need to be water.  Water is in everything.

I drink a lot of coffee, a pot or more a day.  Now those people who say that's to much coffee are right but it's my last vice and I am not ready to give it up.   Apparently if you drink enough coffee the effect of caffeine as a diuretic is negated.  Therefore coffee is in the mix, so I am going with that.

The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly about 13 cups (100 oz) of total beverages a day.    

"That's a very simple, easy way to monitor hydration," says Nancy Clark, MS, RD, sports dietitian in Chestnut Hill, Mass. "If you go from 8 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon without peeing, then you're dehydrated."

Well that's enough learning for today.  Weigh in went good lost 2 lbs this week.

Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship. - Buddha

I am out

g

No comments:

Post a Comment