Saturday, December 12, 2009

Evil Supermarkets


I am driving home from work last night and thought to myself I don’t have any lettuce for a salad tonight. So I figured I would stop by the supermarket and pick up a bag and do like I normally do make one at home. Diving down the highway there are two supermarkets on the road. The one on the right a normal supermarket, you know type, 10 aisles, small produce section, plain jane store. The one on the right the SUPER supermarket. The huge one, that has the fancy food court, the bakery, the pizza area, etc etc.

Now one would think, just go to the normal one, and buy some lettuce, head home. Nope I head to the SUPER store. My thinking I will make a salad and not have to break out the stuff at home, what a fool. I should have seen it coming. Remember cunning and baffling.

Off I go to the salad bar. It’s at least 50 ft long with everything you can imagine. Mistake number two, I will have just a salad for diner. So instead of grapping the small container, I get the big one and fill it up. Lettuce, onions, peppers, turkey (well I have to have protein) and on and on, till I have ¾ of a pound of salad.

Mistake number three. As I am walking to the cash register, I figure I just wander around and see what they have. What a bunch of bull shit, I am in a supermarket what was I thinking, they have food and they make it look good.

Here is a window into my mind. Look they a prepackage bowl of pasta and meatballs, I guess I will have some pasta with my salad. Wow little pizza sticks, now that would be a great appetizer. But they only come in a pack of ten. I will have a couple for an appetizer and freeze the rest. Look over there they have rich chocolate chip cookies. Oh it’s a small pack I have one or two for dessert.

I walk out of the store with the above. All I wanted to do was get a bag of lettuce for dinner. Isn’t this one of the things people say don’t go shopping hungry.

I head home and reality hits. Ok I will have the salad. The pasta sits in the fridge for tonight. I only had 5 pizza sticks and the rest are frozen. Now the bad part:

I ate the 8 cookies (.44 lbs) which comes out to 962 calories, 5 pizza sticks at 160 calories for 800 calories, and the salad for about 400 calories. That’s a grand total of 2162 calories for dinner.

This morning I hit the scale and see that I lost 0 lbs this week. I hope I learned my lesson

No comments:

Post a Comment